Friday, August 26, 2011

Annabel and Donovan?

So, for those of you who don't bother reading comments (like me on any blog other than my own), something has...well, something has happened.  Apparently there's this runner named Donovan (who writes a blog called Neverending Marathon) who knew Poe back when she was a runner.  He wrote about a runner named Annabel that he spent time with (and appears to have some sort of crush on--and yes, Donovan, before you say anything, I do in fact realize that you're probably reading this and I just don't care), and a few days later, I happened to do Poe's interview.

Let me be clear about on thing: the timing here is almost certainly complete coincidence.  I did not know Poe's name before I interviewed her.  I did not read Donovan's post until after he had commented.  I am not, as he claims, "sabotaging him" or "dragging her name through the dirt to mess with him" or whatever the hell he claimed that I don't care enough about to look up to see for sure.

In fact, if anyone set this up, it's Poe herself.  This may come as a bit of a shock to some of you (you in particular, Donovan), but this isn't the first time I've heard of your blog.  I'm almost certain that none of you remember it, but this isn't the first time I've mentioned Donovan's blog.  It's here, near the end.  I asked Poe about it afterwards, and you know the "idiot runner" Caper's talking about?  That's Donovan.  So yeah, she reads your blog.  And she's been using it to track down your friends.  Of course, if she's setting you up, which is possible, it's an impressive move on her part, considering that her very first post was, you know, related to her name.  I suppose she set up the entire blog as a plan to mess with your head.  And just relied on me doing an interview at some point so that she could use the name you had just given her but that she somehow knew against you.  Which doesn't even fit with her personality at all.

Come on.  Like you're worth that effort.

But anyway, I was convinced it was coincidence.  And then I told Poe about it, kind of laughing.  And she told me that Donovan was telling the truth.  That his story was mostly true (he maybe got some small details wrong).

Huh.  Small world.

And here's the thing: she reads his blog.  I know that much.  So she knew he was talking about her (which, thanks Don, must have been a bit awkward), and she still gives me her name.  I don't get it.  I really don't get it.  Why the hell would she do something like that?  Does she want him to find out about her or something?  I'm confused here, Poe.  Talk to me.

So yes, congratulations, Donovan.  You've found Annabel.  Not what you remember, is she?  Tough.  People change.  Get over it.  That's really all I can say.  She's Poe now, so just forget about her and move on.  You can moon over her memory all you want, but I'm pretty sure that she's not gonna be particularly fond of someone as anti-proxy as you are.

I'm looking back over this now and I can't believe I wrote up an entire post just because a runner evidently knows Poe.

-Don't Shoot The Messenger-

4 comments: