Monday, September 12, 2011

A Moment of Calm

Lately, everything's seemed...a bit difficult.  Intense.  I find out that I'm quite possibly being observed by some Orwellian freak.  Said freak is sending me videos that basically boil down to "you're surrounded by sociopaths; have fun with that."  I had to write about a wonderful woman who was decapitated and eaten.  And I'm meeting Andromeda, a woman who makes Nee-chan seem kindhearted and stable, for an interview tomorrow.

And you know what?  It's all that wonderful dysfunction constantly chipping at my sanity that makes the good times that much better.

I had mentioned offhand earlier (I think I had, at least, but I'm not going to take the time to look it up) that Poe had told me that I should watch some anime with her and Nee-chan some time.  I agreed to giving it one shot.  Well, I had agreed to it this past Saturday.  And considering that this was after those tapes with Caper and finding out about Schrödinger, I wasn't really in the mood for spending time with Nee-chan.  But I had promised Poe, so I pulled myself together enough to pull myself over to the couch.

Poe was sitting there already, and she looked up as I approached.  Nee-chan hadn't showed up yet, though.

"So when's the crazy one showing up?"

She forced a smile.  "Oh, I'm here already."

"Oh, you know who I mean.  I figured she'd be here already."

"Oh.  Um, she's...she's not coming over.  I told her we were busy.  I...I hope you don't mind.  It's just...well, I don't think it'd be a good idea to have her around tonight and...I'm sorry I didn't tell you.  I just thought we could maybe spend a bit of time together.  You know, because...we really haven't had the chance to do that yet."

Well...she definitely had a point about Nee-chan.  And I was only watching to appease her anyway, so...I guess I preferred it that way.

Anyway, we watched some anime called Death Note.  Poe told me it was about a kid genius using a notebook that kills the person whose name is written in it.  I laughed because it sounded like the dumbest concept ever.  She sort of smacked me and told me to give it a try first.  And it was...okay, I'll admit that it was a lot better than it sounded.  Sort of a mystery story in a lot of ways, which I didn't expect.  We started late in the afternoon and, after I started getting into it, we decided to just try to watch the whole thing in one go.  All twelve hours of it.  We started mid-afternoon and watched through the whole thing with a brief break at what Poe said was the best stopping point.

And for those twelve hours, I was able to forget.  To forget about Schrödinger.  To forget about Caper.  To forget about Nee-chan.  To forget the fact that, while we were watching Death Note, there may have been someone watching us.  For those twelve hours, nothing existed but us and the show we were watching.  And for the first time in a long time, I was able to feel happy again, if only for a little bit.

Also, I now know where Poe gets her profile picture (it's some chick named Misa who's a pretty important character on the show).  I made sure to give her some grief for it when I recognized it.

Anyway, I had a good time.  Didn't really understand the ending because it was about 5:00 AM by that point, and Poe wasn't even awake to explain it to me (she had fallen asleep on my shoulder sometime from...I think between 2:00 and 3:00).  Asked her to explain it to me yesterday, but she told me I'd just have to rewatch it.  Poe, just a note since I know you're reading: blackmail isn't very nice.  Besides, Wikipedia seems to have more about any given TV show than it does about the Cold War, so if you won't tell me, I'll just ask the internet.

But yeah, I know that you all care about my personal life about as much as I care about yours (if you examine the blog very closely, you just might catch that the answer is "not at all"), but no one forced you to read it.  But I figured that the good stuff's worth posting as well as the bad.  So I'm going to take my little moment here to reminisce on my little moment of calm and happiness.  Because really, with all the shit that's been going on, that's all that's keeping me sane right now.

-Don't Shoot The Messenger-

12 comments:

  1. Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Death Note, huh? That's a good anime, yeah. Guess what, pal? Poe's avatar is from Death Note. It's part of an image of Misa Amane, a character in that anime. Not that it holds importance, anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erm...thanks, Raven, whoever you are. It's a nice saying. I appreciate the sentiment.

    Also, thank you Kashi. I noticed. Hence, you know, the entire paragraph I dedicated to that exact observation.

    -Don't Shoot The Messenger-

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...wait, "Raven?"

    ...who is this? This had better be a coincidence.

    -Don't Shoot The Messenger-

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you liked it. Sorry I fell asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Messenger, suffice it to say the Mr. Poe's work has inspired more sobriquets than that of your friend. Feel free to ignore the feather-brain.

    Incidentally, Death Note is amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's Poe here who wrote about a raven, a crow named Poe over on Return to Slender, and then a person going by Raven who quotes Poe (among others) and comments here and on Return to Slender. Small reference pools, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Messenger: I've no clue who "Raven" is, but I do know where that quote comes from: a book titled 'Callahan's Crosstime Saloon'. Worth reading if you get the chance; they're written by Spider Robinson.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, looked that up since it sounded like a quote, found the same result. Also, who the hell names their kid Spider? Seriously.

    As for the Raven thing, Poe told me that she thinks that he came over from Nemo's blog, which is a bit of a relief. As long as it's not Screwtape. It kinda seems like something he'd do.

    -Don't Shoot The Messenger-

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really, Messenger, there you go with your accusations again. What reason would I have to hide my identity? If I were wishing you or Raven shared joy (which you somehow seem to be reading as spite), I would do it as myself. And if, for some reason, I were to use an alias, well...think, Messenger. Why would I use the same name I use for her? What sense does that make?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time. I appreciate your post and look forward to more. Nerve Control 911

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very good points you wrote here..Great stuff...I think you've made some truly interesting points.Keep up the good work. Car Recovery Dublin

    ReplyDelete